Okay, with this setup each product has a purpose. Here's what you do.
1) Make sure your face has been heated either with a hot shower or a nice long facial cleansing with hot water. This will soften your beard for a nice smooth/close cut. Make it good and steamy in there so it'll open your pores and get that moisture in there.
2) Take the pre-shave oil, put probably a quarter sized amount on the palm of your hand, rub your hands together, then apply it to your beard and neck area. What this does is it will hydrate your skin and provide a protective barrier against razor cuts.
3) Get a shaving mug or even your hand will do and apply a nickel sized amount of shaving cream. With this stuff, a little goes a long way, take your shaving brush and run it under hot water for maybe 20-30 seconds and kind of shake it a couple times to release excess water. Then take the brush and apply it to the shaving cream in your hand/mug and whip it like you're beating an egg with a whisk. You can control how thick/thin it is by how much water you add. Want it nice and foamy like a mousse? Keep the water to a minimum.
4) Now, take a the brush which should be loaded with shaving cream and kind of buff your face with it in little circles around your beard and neck region. If the lather is running low, hit the brush with a little water to thicken it up again, keep going till you get a nice white and thick layer of cream on your face.
5) Then take your razor and run it under hot water and shave as you normally would (don't go against the grain on the first run.) think 'down first and across second'. You can reapply some cream for the second pass.
6) Rinse your face with cool water and pat dry with a towel. This will close your pores up and seal in that moisture from the cream and oil.
7) Then take a nickel sized amount of post shave lotion and same as the oil, put a little in your palm, run your hands together, and apply to your face and neck working it into your skin really well. This stuff is great because it won't leave you feeling greasy and the scent won't overpower your cologne.
8) Feel your face and take a look at yourself because you look like a million bucks. Congratulations, you just gave yourself a pro barber style shave!
answered 1 week ago
Use the pre shave oil, which men are crazy about, then the shaving cream, which is like a spa treatment for us women :)
HE WILL LOVE YOU FOR THIS!!!
answered 1 year, 5 months ago
(Chapel Hill, NC)
Apply your pre oil and lather up by using the brush.Then apply your shaving cream on top of the oil and after you shave put on the moisturizer which is the after shave.
answered 3 years, 2 months ago
My husband applies the oil first then steps into a hot shower. Once his face is hot, he applies the shaving cream.
answered 3 years, 4 months ago
Traditionally you use the pre-shave oil and then the shaving cream although my man likes to skip the pre-shave oil and still has a great shave. I think the pre-shave oil adds a great element of hydrating the skin and allowing all the hairs to get pulled up and ready for the shaving cream.
answered 4 years, 1 month ago